Wii Want to Buy. Target Doesn’t Care?
Ian Lurie Dec 4 2007
Have you tried to buy a Wii lately? Target stores apparently doesn’t want you to. Ever.
I visited a few major retailers’ sites, found by searching for ‘Nintendo Wii’ on Google:
To me, the Target ad means ‘buy a Wii from us’. So I clicked on the ad, and got this page:
No console. Lots of accessories available for purchase, but that’s it. And no information about when I might purchase one, or why there aren’t any available.
That’s OK though. I can wait. I figured I could at least pre-order, or put my name on an e-mail list so they could notify me when more Wiis become available.
Nope. I can sign up for the Target newsletter. Nothing else.
Is the Target site just broken? Did they remove the Wii for a few days? Or is it gone forever? The lack of information is aggravating for me, and I know there’s a Wii shortage. It’s probably downright maddening for less geeky consumers. Target is driving away customers with the silent treatment.
So, Target, here are three things you can do to sell tons more stuff. That’s what you want to do, right?
- Point your PPC ad for ‘Nintendo Wii’ at a landing page that explains the Wii shortage.
- On that page, let visitors click through to the Wii accessories pages on your site, or sign up for a special notification list.
- On all Wii-related pages on your site, link to the same page.
Then, the day you get more Wiis in stock, you can notify the list.
It’s an easy, economical fix, and a way to turn a shortage into a marketing opportunity.
And hey, Nintendo? Don’t even get me started on your site.
Ian Lurie is CEO and founder of Portent Inc. He is co-author of the 2nd edition of the Web Marketing All-In-One for Dummies and wrote the sections on SEO, blogging, social media and web analytics. He's recorded training for Lynda.com, writes regularly for the Portent Blog and has been published on AllThingsD, Forbes.com and TechCrunch. And, Ian speaks at conferences around the world, including SearchLove, MozCon, SIC and ad:Tech. Read More
- Do You Use Data To Improve Your Website Design?
- How to use Intention.js for Responsive Design
- What Does a Degree in Architecture Have to Do with Web Design & Development?
- A Front-End Workflow For The Evolving Web
- Stop Writing Blog Posts: Ideas for Interactive Content
- Parallax Scrolling? HTML5 Animations? Why We’re Falling for New Design Techniques