Introducing The Fat Free Guide: What I’d do on Groundhog Day
Ian Lurie Feb 1 2010
I’m talking about the movie Groundhog Day, not the day when we try to predict the weather using a large rodent (I know it’s not really a rodent, but come on).
Quick synopsis: Bill Murray lives through the same day again and again as the universe tries to show him the direction to take his life. Hilarity ensues.
Bill gets clever, though, learning to play piano, preventing accidents that he’s seen happen over and over again, etc..
I like it! If I got to live through 2/2 again and again, I’d:
- Memorize stock prices and become the ultimate day trader.
- Write a really good web site to teach folks how to do internet marketing.
- Call it the Fat Free Guide to Internet Marketing.
- Take the Fat Free Guide live, make the most basic, “beginner” 1/3 of the content available for free, and charge folks $17/month to have access to the rest.
- Promise everyone that if they sign up now, they can get access to the Fat Free Guide for $7 a month, instead, and that I won’t charge them a dime until it goes live. All they have to do is fill out the form below.
- Oh, and to appeal to my crueler side, I’d give you until the end of 2/3 to sign up. Mwahahahaha.
Oh, wait! I can do 2-5 anyway!
Sooooo, fill out this form before 2/3/10 and I’ll let you in to use the Fat Free Guide for $7/month instead of $17.
I’m trying to avoid an air of cheesiness that sometimes goes along with this kind of stuff. This isn’t some kind of miracle cure. The Fat Free Guide will be a learning resource, not an Instant Ticket To Millions. Oh, and the Fat Free Guide should launch in the next 8 weeks.
More about the Fat Free Guide in future posts.
Ian Lurie is CEO and founder of Portent Inc. He's recorded training for Lynda.com, writes regularly for the Portent Blog and has been published on AllThingsD, Forbes.com and TechCrunch. Ian speaks at conferences around the world, including SearchLove, MozCon, SIC and ad:Tech. Follow him on Twitter at portentint.He also just published a book about strategy for services businesses: One Trick Ponies Get Shot, available on Kindle. Read More
- Google Custom Affinities Is Here: What You Should Do
- Announcing RainGage
- The Marketing Stack, aka: Why Do You Keep Getting Fired?
- Open Letter to CMOs: Confessions of a Digital Marketing Agency
- Why Brand Managers Must Sweat the Small Stuff… and it’s ALL Small Stuff
- The Humungous Guide to Content Strategy