Problem solving with pants on
Ian Lurie Dec 14 2011
Most people are terrified of problem solving, whether they’re figuring out how to replace a flat tire or diagnose a problem on their blog. They see a problem, and run so fast their pants are literally flayed from their bodies. Why? Because:
- A failed solution = A mistake
- Solutions require time, which no one has
- Solutions require research, which few people know how to do
But good problem solving skills save time, improve projects and do all sorts of fantastic stuff for you, your career and your life. Good problem solvers are sexy!
Here’s how I usually approach problems. All in a handy-dandy cheat sheet (don’t call it an infographic):
Feel free to embed this, using this code:
You can also download the sheet in PDF.
Note: Print at your own risk. It’s humungous.
Ian Lurie is CEO and founder of Portent Inc. He's recorded training for Lynda.com, writes regularly for the Portent Blog and has been published on AllThingsD, Forbes.com and TechCrunch. Ian speaks at conferences around the world, including SearchLove, MozCon, SIC and ad:Tech. Follow him on Twitter at portentint.He also just published a book about strategy for services businesses: One Trick Ponies Get Shot, available on Kindle. Read More
- Google Custom Affinities Is Here: What You Should Do
- Announcing RainGage
- The Marketing Stack, aka: Why Do You Keep Getting Fired?
- Open Letter to CMOs: Confessions of a Digital Marketing Agency
- Why Brand Managers Must Sweat the Small Stuff… and it’s ALL Small Stuff
- The Humungous Guide to Content Strategy