Sites Where I Learn Stuff
Ian Lurie Jul 15 2009
- Smashing Magazine. No surprise. The folks at Smashing Magazine publish one great, inspirational post after another. If you’re a designer, developer or web marketer you want to subscribe and check them out daily.
- Nettuts+. I recently discovered Nettuts+ and am addicted. The tutorials are detailed and cover everything from PHP frameworks to Flash.
- Noupe is another great tutorial site. I could probably spend all day just reading some of these…
- Information Aesthetics. A collection of fantastic infographics. If you’re a datageek, it’s like Disneyland.
- Shoemoney is one of the most successful affiliate marketers on the planet. Read his stuff.
- SEOMoz Blog. Lotsa great SEO information, plus the occasional dust-up between Michael Martinez and Rand Fishkin.
- Wolf-Howl. Graywolf’s blog is great when you need a healthy dose of skepticism about the major search engines’ benevolence. A critical balance for any SEO.
- High Rankings Advisor. Jill Whalen and her team have been in SEO even longer than me. Which I didn’t think was possible. I’m just so damned old…
- LifeHacker is one nerdy tip after another for organizing your life, souping up your computer or learning to fry eggs with a black sock. OK, I made that last one up. But you get the idea.
- Gary Vaynerchuk’s blog shows you just how much fun someone can have if they find their passion and a career online. I’m still lookin’…
- Signal Vs. Noise. Yes, the guys at 37 Signals can sometimes seem obnoxious. And I admire that. Their genius for design, simplicity and usability make their blog mandatory.
- ChrisBrogan.com is a second CopyBlogger for me. Tips on writing, social media and online marketing wisdom.
- While I’m on the subject, CopyBlogger is where you get ideas and tips on becoming a better copywriter.
- The Electronic Frontier Foundation is always on my list. Because if you really love your country, you nag, nag, nag.
- AdScam/The Horror!. George Parker tells it like it is in the ad industry, and then some.
What are your faves? Help me build my feed list…
Ian Lurie is CEO and founder of Portent Inc. He is co-author of the 2nd edition of the Web Marketing All-In-One for Dummies and wrote the sections on SEO, blogging, social media and web analytics. He's recorded training for Lynda.com, writes regularly for the Portent Blog and has been published on AllThingsD, Forbes.com and TechCrunch. And, Ian speaks at conferences around the world, including SearchLove, MozCon, SIC and ad:Tech. Read More