What is conversation marketing?
Ian Lurie Mar 21 2004
A few years ago, John Cass – one of the best Internet and permission marketers I know – and I were sitting around trying to figure out how to describe this business. Internet communications is half PR (as John will tell you), a quarter marketing and a quarter technology.
What separates the Internet from other media, though, is the fact that you can actually measure and respond to your audience, even as they respond to your message. In other words, it’s a conversation. And the rules for making that conversation work are pretty simple:
- Dress appropriately
- Sound smart
- Observe and adjust
- Make a connection
- Brag modestly
More on these rules in future entries…
Chairman & Principal Consultant
Ian Lurie is Chairman and Principal Consultant of Portent Inc., an Internet marketing agency that has provided Internet marketing, including PPC, SEO, social and analytics services, since 1995. Read More
- Everything I Needed To Know About Marketing I Learned Playing Dungeons & Dragons
- 6 Reasons We All Need To Stop Complaining
- Internet Marketing Lessons Learned from Walking the AWP Book Fair
- Advertising Will Soon Reach a Digital Tipping Point
- As Good as It Gets: What dating can teach us about email marketing.
- Open Letter to CMOs: Confessions of a Digital Marketing Agency