10 Reasons to Stop Blogging
Ian Lurie Feb 25 2009
This is my last post on the subject, I swear. For a week at least.
- You hate writing. If you really, truly hate to write, why are you making yourself blog? Are you just a masochist?
- You made fun of a family member in a blog post, and now they give you the stink-eye at every get-together. Quitting is the only way to make it up to them.
- Your World of Warcraft character has really been suffering from neglect.
- Your kids can’t remember what you look like.
- You’ve worn out the keys on your keyboard.
- You’ve worn out your welcome on the internet (unlikely).
- It’s just not what it used to be. The thrill is gone. The ship has sailed. The bloom is off the rose. Or any other cliche you care to use.
- You’re just burnt out. There is no rule saying you can’t start back up again later. Stop for a while. Rest up.
- You haven’t made a million dollars blogging yet. WTF is wrong with you?!
- You got dumped off the AdAge Power 150. That seems to happen to me every week, so don’t take it so hard.
Ian Lurie is CEO and founder of Portent Inc. He is co-author of the 2nd edition of the Web Marketing All-In-One for Dummies and wrote the sections on SEO, blogging, social media and web analytics. He's recorded training for Lynda.com, writes regularly for the Portent Blog and has been published on AllThingsD, Forbes.com and TechCrunch. And, Ian speaks at conferences around the world, including SearchLove, MozCon, SIC and ad:Tech. Read More