Big, fat lessons on rebuilding your blog
- Let someone else do it. And stay out of their way.
- There is always a way to export/import your content. Don’t believe someone if they say “You’ll have to cut and paste it.”
- Analytics should work from day 1 (mine did).
- Trade three useless graphical features for one good typographical element. You’ll win every time.
- Make sure you’ve got your site set up for the social graph protocol.
- If you’re changing the design, don’t mess with the structure. Do that later on.
- Don’t frak with the code until the site’s done. Your designer may hate you if you do.
- Don’t compromise on readability. It’s why folks are there, really.
- Your readers are pretty tolerant, actually. If stuff breaks, they’ll tell you. Pay them back by fixing it right away.
- Focus on your writing. Don’t start tweaking things on your own. Let the designer handle it.
By the way, the Conversation Marketing relaunch went beautifully. I followed all of these rules. Most of the time.