The big merger
No, Portent didn’t merge with another company. But we just finished merging my blog, Conversation Marketing, into the Portent web site. From now on, you can find all the same stuff I used to write on Conversation Marketing here, instead.
Why’d I do it? Let me count the reasons:
- The rest of the team at Portent write fantastic stuff. It’s silly to split our efforts.
- Brand confusion was starting to become an issue. Everyone knows I write Conversation Marketing. Few people, apparently, know that I’ve run an internet marketing agency for 16 years.
- Only one site and WordPress install to maintain.
- Combined search authority should help both sites.
- Combined social media authority should help, too, once the initial higgledy-piggledy sorts itself out.
- Ongoing changes to Google’s algorithm really point to blended sites doing better: The ‘quality’ introduced by lots of great content can boost the ‘corporate’ side.
So, lots of great reasons to do the move. Things I worry about include:
- People leaving because they think I’ll be all corporate now (ask my employees if that’s an issue).
- Loss of ‘brand belief’ in the blog: Folks thinking the writing will change, the content will fade, etc.. It won’t happen. You’ll see even more cool stuff now, as Portent’s PPC and social teams, as well as the SEO team, all keep publishing.
- Google and Bing screw up the transition and I vanish from virtual existence, leaving only a small popping sound as air rushes in to fill the space I’d occupied. Fingers crossed on that one.
We’re working on improving the new, merged blog. If you see things you’d like us to change/tweak, leave a comment below. As always, I reserve the right to veto suggestions, but I promise I’ll read every last one.