Five Great Ways to Remain Invisible
Ian Lurie Feb 9 2007
Feel like search engines are just a pest? Don’t want any annoying customers on your web site? Then these tips are for you:
- Ignore title tags. Who needs ‘em?
- Go 100% graphics. It’s prettier, right? Why bother with actual text?
- Keep out of it. Don’t ever blog, discuss, or otherwise mention your site in any medium.
- Use loooooong URLs. Why use www.mysite.com when www.mysite.com/en/us/?-this=1234091284as;dlfjkaeorwiuawe0948230498 will do the same thing?
- Copy like crazy. Plagiarize content from other, better-ranked sites to your heart’s content. Sure, the search engines may ban you in response to a complaint, but who cares?
A little Friday fun after a week of situations that needed a laugh track…
Ian Lurie is CEO and founder of Portent Inc. He's recorded training for Lynda.com, writes regularly for the Portent Blog and has been published on AllThingsD, Forbes.com and TechCrunch. Ian speaks at conferences around the world, including SearchLove, MozCon, SIC and ad:Tech. Follow him on Twitter at portentint. He also just published a book about strategy for services businesses: One Trick Ponies Get Shot, available on Kindle. Read More