Good SEOs Have Always Been Marketers
Ian Lurie Jul 17 2007
Grokdotcom posted an article yesterday titled “Are Some SEO’s Becoming (*gasp*) Marketers?”.
Good SEOs have always been marketers.
Granted, good SEOs are, and always have been, in short supply. And it may be that these days, bad SEOs are learning to parrot things some of us have said for 7+ years like:
“SEO is about quality content.”
“Don’t sacrifice usability for SEO.”
“Measure SEO results in terms of conversions, not rankings.”
But implying that search engine optimization experts are just now becoming marketers sets my teeth on edge.
Maybe if these other SEOs spent more time learning the basics of marketing, and less time trying to outfox search algorithms, the idea that SEO is marketing wouldn’t be such a mind-blowing epiphany.
(Ian walks offstage, grumbling)
Ian Lurie is CEO and founder of Portent Inc. He's recorded training for Lynda.com, writes regularly for the Portent Blog and has been published on AllThingsD, Forbes.com and TechCrunch. Ian speaks at conferences around the world, including SearchLove, MozCon, SIC and ad:Tech. Follow him on Twitter at portentint.He also just published a book about strategy for services businesses: One Trick Ponies Get Shot, available on Kindle. Read More
- 5 Ways Your Site Might Fail Google’s Mobile-Friendly Test
- My (Insanely Large) List of SEO Tools & Other Useful Resources
- Google’s Data Highlighter: Your New Favorite Backup Plan
- How I Know Which of Your Links Are Bad – Link Profile Review Tips
- Search Awards 2014 – Best SEO Campaign
- Announcing Our SERP Preview Tool