Keywords Ain’t All Dat: An SEO Lesson
Ian Lurie Aug 8 2007
Keywords can wreck a good search engine optimization campaign.
That can be a tough lesson to learn. Fortunately, you have me to prove it to you. Years of internet marketing apparently numbed my brain.
I wrote a beautifully optimized page for my company site – it focuses on our Google Analytics practice. Within a week, we had the #3 spot for ‘Google Analytics Consulting’. Woo hoo!
Of those 5 visits, 5 are probably me.
Of course, if I’d bothered to use any keyword research tool (such as WordTracker, KeywordDiscovery or even Google Adwords), I would have immediately seen that no one searches for ‘Google Analytics Consulting’.
Back to the drawing board.
The moral of this story: Research your keywords.
I am now going to go wipe the egg of my face…
Ian Lurie is CEO and founder of Portent Inc. He's recorded training for Lynda.com, writes regularly for the Portent Blog and has been published on AllThingsD, Forbes.com and TechCrunch. Ian speaks at conferences around the world, including SearchLove, MozCon, SIC and ad:Tech. Follow him on Twitter at portentint.He also just published a book about strategy for services businesses: One Trick Ponies Get Shot, available on Kindle. Read More
- 5 Ways Your Site Might Fail Google’s Mobile-Friendly Test
- My (Insanely Large) List of SEO Tools & Other Useful Resources
- Google’s Data Highlighter: Your New Favorite Backup Plan
- How I Know Which of Your Links Are Bad – Link Profile Review Tips
- Search Awards 2014 – Best SEO Campaign
- Announcing Our SERP Preview Tool