SEO is a Tactic, Not a Strategy
Ian Lurie Oct 4 2007
SEO is no more a strategy than printing business cards.
It’s a tactic that forms a large and essential part of your internet marketing strategy.
My client (who I respect extremely – hence Yoda, and not Boba) wanted to use SEO to build their online business.
It can’t do that. It can build traffic – hopefully relevant traffic. But it can’t build business.
SEO is important. It’s the only online marketing tactic with near-infinite scalability. You don’t pay by the click, so successful SEO lowers your cost per acquisition.
But focus purely on search engines and you’ll miss other crucial issues:
- Usability problems that prevent customers from buying;
- Analytics showing that e-mail generates 90% of all sales;
- Hidden opportunities in the social media world;
- Deeper technical issues with the site that would make fulfillment a nightmare;
- Similar issues that, if corrected, could reduce delivery time;
- Overall site performance issues;
- Design choices that drive away the best customers;
- Less-than-optimal marketing copy;
- Or a host of other stuff that might crop up.
So pay attention: SEO is a tactic. Not a strategy. Internet marketing is a strategy.
Now, young padawan, go meditate on this, and tell me what you find…
Ian Lurie is CEO and founder of Portent Inc. He's recorded training for Lynda.com, writes regularly for the Portent Blog and has been published on AllThingsD, Forbes.com and TechCrunch. Ian speaks at conferences around the world, including SearchLove, MozCon, SIC and ad:Tech. Follow him on Twitter at portentint.He also just published a book about strategy for services businesses: One Trick Ponies Get Shot, available on Kindle. Read More
- 5 Ways Your Site Might Fail Google’s Mobile-Friendly Test
- My (Insanely Large) List of SEO Tools & Other Useful Resources
- Google’s Data Highlighter: Your New Favorite Backup Plan
- How I Know Which of Your Links Are Bad – Link Profile Review Tips
- Search Awards 2014 – Best SEO Campaign
- Announcing Our SERP Preview Tool