Test Your Web Team: The SEO Quiz
Ian Lurie Dec 13 2007
Update: The quiz tool I was using didn’t work quite as advertised, so I’ve just put the quiz right on the page. Correct answers are bracketed.
Too often, web developers and designers say they’re SEO experts, when they’re not. As a client, you have to believe them – they’re the experts.
So it can be very, very frustrating when, six months later, I give you a 15-page report detailing SEO problems.
How can you tell whether your web team knows SEO? Give them this quiz. If they get more than 2 wrong, they aren’t qualified, and you should hire someone else:
- Of these 3 items, which is the most important for SEO?
[Standards compliant, clean code]
A well-written keywords META tag
An RSS feed
- The best way to reroute traffic from an old web site to a new one is:
A META REFRESH tag
[A 301 redirect]
A 302 redirect
- Which of these is better for SEO?
[<h1>The page title here</h1>]
<span class=”headingforseo”>The page title here</span>
- True or false: Buying Adwords PPC ads will improve your organic ranking.
- True or false: We can always wait and do SEO after the development is done. It won’t cost more.
[False, and then some]
- Which of these tactics will draw a penalty from search engines?
[Putting text on the page, and making that text the same color as the background.]
Using a 302 redirect instead of a 301 redirect.
Buying lots of links.
Chairman & Principal Consultant
Ian Lurie is Chairman and Principal Consultant of Portent Inc., an Internet marketing agency that has provided Internet marketing, including PPC, SEO, social and analytics services, since 1995. Read More