Video Tutorial: Google Custom Search Engines
Ian Lurie Jul 20 2007
You need a good search tool on your site. Your visitors want one – without it they’re about 30% more likely to leave after that first, 5-10 second review of your home page.
Google has just released custom search engines for business. It’s a fantastic way to put a top-notch search tool on your site. I did a quick video tutorial walking you through the setup process:
Or watch it in Quicktime format.
The only shortcoming I see is that Google Custom Search doesn’t provide detailed reports regarding search phrases. I’ll talk more about a solution in my next tutorial.
Ian Lurie is CEO and founder of Portent Inc. He's recorded training for Lynda.com, writes regularly for the Portent Blog and has been published on AllThingsD, Forbes.com and TechCrunch. Ian speaks at conferences around the world, including SearchLove, MozCon, SIC and ad:Tech. Follow him on Twitter at portentint.He also just published a book about strategy for services businesses: One Trick Ponies Get Shot, available on Kindle. Read More
- 5 Ways Your Site Might Fail Google’s Mobile-Friendly Test
- My (Insanely Large) List of SEO Tools & Other Useful Resources
- Google’s Data Highlighter: Your New Favorite Backup Plan
- How I Know Which of Your Links Are Bad – Link Profile Review Tips
- Search Awards 2014 – Best SEO Campaign
- Announcing Our SERP Preview Tool