10 Must-Have Internet Marketing Tools
Ian Lurie Feb 8 2007
…that you may not know about.
Not in any particular order:
- Google Trends is fun, and a great measure of changes in search patterns over time.
- SEOMOZ.org has a host of search engine optimization tools you can use to evaluate the strength of your site, the competitiveness of a particular space, and any potential SEO dealbreakers.
- Nielsen NetRatings provides lots of great reports for free, and priceless data if you subscribe. Look under ‘Resources’ for the free stuff.
- WordTracker is another great keyword mining resource, if you’re an SEO addict.
- Technorati measure the blogging world, allowing you to see who’s hot and who’s not in a specific topic area, and allowing you to find niches.
- Blogpulse is another awesome blogging measurement tool. Unlike Technorati, Blogpulse lets you measure trends in mention of topics. Beware, this one’s addictive.
- Copyscape lets you find out who’s plagiarizing your content.
- Design Meltdown is just a wonderful catalog of cool designs, organized by theme. I go there whenever I’m experiencing creative brainlock.
- Marketing Sherpa is a goldmine of case studies, benchmarks and reports. They charge for just about everything, but it’s worth it.
- Your brain. Oft forgotten, usually maligned, this resource can’t be plagiarized or infected by computer viruses (not directly, anyway). It’s still the most powerful computer you’ve got.
CEO & Founder
Ian Lurie is CEO and founder of Portent and the EVP of Marketing Services at Clearlink. He's been a digital marketer since the days of AOL and Compuserve (25 years, if you're counting). He's recorded training for Lynda.com, writes regularly for the Portent Blog and has been published on AllThingsD, Smashing Magazine, and TechCrunch.Ian speaks at conferences around the world, including SearchLove, MozCon, Seattle Interactive Conference and ad:Tech. He has published has published several books about business and marketing: One Trick Ponies Get Shot, available on Kindle, The Web Marketing All-In-One Desk Reference for Dummies, and Conversation Marketing.Follow him on Twitter at portentint, and on LinkedIn at LinkedIn.com/in/ianlurie. Read More