5 Social Media Things John McCain Should Be Doing RIGHT NOW
Ian Lurie Aug 29 2008
Hi Senator. Not a fan, but I am an admirer. Please don’t hate me if I don’t vote for you this November.
I do have some advice for you, though. Events are catching up to you online, fast. In the last hour I’ve watched stories about your running mate sink into the blogging world, and watched bloggers latch onto them like rabid schnauzers.
So, go do a few things asap:
- Buy the word ‘creationism’ in Google Adwords. Point it at a page that explains Sarah Palin’s views, and why they won’t mean a Federal mandate (or will, if you prefer) to teach creation in public schools.
- Bid more on Sarah Palin’s name, and misspellings of her name, in pay per click on all three major search engines.
- Get onto Digg, Reddit and other major social news portals and start putting in your own comments and stories about this election. In the last few hours the Democrats have taken a huge chunk out of your campaign on these sites. It’s not just a little thing. It could hang around. Remember the Swift Boaters?
- Seed articles onto blogs (I’m sure you have blogger allies) about your strong points – experience, foreign policy, etc. – and then promote those stories via the social news sites.
- Contact your base. Get them mobilized online over the weekend. It’s a 3-day weekend, so this is your chance to take back some online turf before your convention.
If you don’t do any of these things, I won’t be too disappointed, I swear…
See also 5 Social Media Things Barack Obama should be doing RIGHT NOW.
CEO & Founder
Ian Lurie is CEO and founder of Portent. He's recorded training for Lynda.com, writes regularly for the Portent Blog and has been published on AllThingsD, Forbes.com and TechCrunch. Ian speaks at conferences around the world, including SearchLove, MozCon, SIC and ad:Tech. Follow him on Twitter at portentint. He also just published a book about strategy for services businesses: One Trick Ponies Get Shot, available on Kindle. Read More