I’ve been working on an Internet Marketing Bill of Rights of sorts for internet marketers and their clients. Here’s what I’ve got so far:
You, the Client, Deserve:
- Honesty: I will tell you the truth, though it may not always be what you want to hear.
- Creativity: I won’t just apply a formula to your marketing needs. I’ll use what’s known to work, mixed in with stuff that’ll help your unique organization.
- Accountability: You deserve to know how your money’s being spent.
- Contact: I or my team will be in touch with you regularly, so you know what’s going on.
- Skill: I will know what I’m doing, or I won’t try to tell you I’m an internet marketer.
- Effort: Things don’t always work the first time (actually, they rarely do). I’ll keep at it.
- Insight: I will analyze what works and what doesn’t, learn from it, and pass that to you.
- Encouragement: Marketing can be fun, frustrating, insane, great, productive and horrifying all at once. I’ll be sure to help you maintain perspective.
- Passion: I love what I do. I’ll be a zealous promoter of what you do, too!
I, the Marketer, Deserve:
- Honesty: If you don’t like something my team’s created, tell me right away. We can’t fix things if we don’t know they’re broken.
- Slack: Internet marketing is about trying things. Sometimes those things yield spectacular results. Sometimes they are an utter failure. You have to let us fail to insure we know what not to do, next time.
- Expertise: No one knows your business and your customers better than you. Tell us everything!
- Trust: See #2. If you don’t trust me, don’t work with me. There will be ups and downs – you have to trust that we have your best interests at heart. Second-guessing will ruin any campaign. Plus, you can’t know and understand 100% of what I’m doing. That’s why you hired me. So trust is a requirement.
- Timely Payment: You gotta pay us on time. We’ve probably prepaid for some of your ads, etc. to keep things moving. If you pay us late, it costs us. Plus, timely payment should be a given, right?
This is just a start. If you have ideas, let me know…