You don’t know anything about search engine optimization or search marketing. You know it’s a key part of your internet marketing strategy, but you’re vaguely unhappy with your SEM agency. Are you justified? Here’s a test. Answer each question with a ‘yes’ or a ‘no’:
- My agency lets me see the keyword list and ads they’re using for paid search.
- They regularly provide reports showing ranking changes, money spent, and results.
- They answer the phone when I call, or call me back within 24 hours.
- I can talk to an expert if I arrange it.
- No tricky stuff: My agency doesn’t do anything that makes me uncomfortable.
- No ‘yes’ men: They will warn me if they think I’m going in the wrong direction.
- My agency will admit it when they screw up, and explain how they’re going to fix it.
- They explain themselves: My agency tells me the reason for their recommendations.
- They make recommendations to improve conversion rates on my site, too.
- And they have demonstrated expertise with analytics, so they can measure what they’re doing.
Add up the ‘yes’ answers.
10/10: Wow. Send them chocolate. They’re fantastic!
8/10: Excellent. Keep this agency – they’re worth it.
6/10: Eh. There are some problems. Intentions are good, but it’s time to have a sit-down.
4/10: Start looking for a new agency.
2/10: Run. Now.