I publish every reasonable (and some unreasonable) comments on my blog. My tolerance for dumbassery is pretty high:
But some tooth-grinding commenting habits cause immediate deletion. If you:
- Grammar that know sense makes use. I like Yoda and all, but please at least proofread your comment? If I can’t make heads or tails of it, my readers can’t, either, so I’ll delete it. And yes, I make allowances for folks typing English as a second language. But if your name is Bob Smith, check your grammar.
- Link to unrelated content. Leave a comment on my post about canonicalization, and include a URL that links to a Cialis landing page. Riiiiiiight. That’s your home page. Not.
- Use the name “Godaddy Coupons” or some other search keyword. Either you’re trying to link spam my blog or your parents realllly didn’t like you very much. Either way, deleted.
- Leave 10 comments on 10 posts in 1 day. OK, I won’t automatically hit delete, but it sure makes me suspicious. Especially when combined with #3.
- Use excessive brevity. If your comment says “Great!” it’s not really contributing much to the conversation. It may give me a brief, happy glow, but I’ll still delete it.
- Write forever (aka verbal vomit). The longest comment I’ve ever received? 1200 words. 1200. I do accept guest posts – if you want to send me a 1000+ word essay, use e-mail please.
- Get personal. I grew up in New Jersey. I have a very thick skin, and I know every possible insult relating to parentage and biology. So ‘cretin’ isn’t personal. Threaten me, tell me various body parts are too small or remark on my
ginormoussomewhat oversized nose, though, and I delete. Cynics have feelings too.
- Use naughty words. I run a PG-13 blog here. Please keep within the limits Hollywood has imposed. Which means: Use just about anything except a racial epithet or horrific biological descriptions and you’re fine. Yet folks still step over the line. You won’t make me blush, but I will click ‘delete’.
- Insert affiliate link in your comment. Why do I even have to write this?
- Murder all that is right and known in Internet marketing. You can tell me I’m wrong, debate, argue, etc.. Post something that’s just 100% wrong, though, and I will delete your comment. I am not some squishy “listen to everyone’s point of view” person. I’m a “don’t broadcast stupidity” person.
…then I’ll delete.