10 signs you deserve to succeed
Ian Lurie Dec 2 2011
I run into a lot of people who feel entitled to success: Business owners with zero capital, below-average motivation and the expectation that internet + them = wealth.
But every now and then, I meet people who are clearly going to kick butt. After 16 years of hearing pitches from the entitled crowd, and the far smaller butt-kicking crowd, I’ve learned some telltale signs of impending success:
- You have a powerful vision—a strong, driving sense of purpose. You do everything with that purpose in mind.
- You seek out those smarter than you.
- You’re willing to tell people when something sucks.
- You’re willing to tell people when something’s great.
- You use data, but you don’t let data use you: You know that lack of data doesn’t necessarily mean something’s a bad idea.
- You’re a whole-brain thinker: Not left- or right-brained. You’re both.
- You love to teach.
- You love to learn.
- You delegate.
- You have a revolutionary business plan: Earn more than you spend.
These aren’t entirely voluntary. I can only hit about half of them at any one time. The people who get them all, though—they’re magical.
CEO & Founder
Ian Lurie is CEO and founder of Portent. He's recorded training for Lynda.com, writes regularly for the Portent Blog and has been published on AllThingsD, Forbes.com and TechCrunch. Ian speaks at conferences around the world, including SearchLove, MozCon, SIC and ad:Tech. Follow him on Twitter at portentint. He also just published a book about strategy for services businesses: One Trick Ponies Get Shot, available on Kindle. Read More