I run into a lot of people who feel entitled to success: Business owners with zero capital, below-average motivation and the expectation that internet + them = wealth.
But every now and then, I meet people who are clearly going to kick butt. After 16 years of hearing pitches from the entitled crowd, and the far smaller butt-kicking crowd, I’ve learned some telltale signs of impending success:
- You have a powerful vision—a strong, driving sense of purpose. You do everything with that purpose in mind.
- You seek out those smarter than you.
- You’re willing to tell people when something sucks.
- You’re willing to tell people when something’s great.
- You use data, but you don’t let data use you: You know that lack of data doesn’t necessarily mean something’s a bad idea.
- You’re a whole-brain thinker: Not left- or right-brained. You’re both.
- You love to teach.
- You love to learn.
- You delegate.
- You have a revolutionary business plan: Earn more than you spend.
These aren’t entirely voluntary. I can only hit about half of them at any one time. The people who get them all, though—they’re magical.