I presented yesterday at the SEOMOZ Pro Seminar. I had the incredible misfortune of going right after Rand Fishkin, aka SEO Rockstar, aka He of the Fashionable Wardrobe. But it was still a blast. It was one of a bunch of great moments at my first Mozinar. I heartily recommend it to anyone looking to really learn SEO. Here’s why:
- You’ll learn real stuff. Every presenter comes on stage with executable to-do’s and examples. I’ve never attended a training seminar that delivered as much hard information in a short timespan. I learned new stuff. I’m not saying that to somehow imply I Know All SEO. It’s just rare that I attend a seminar and find myself scribbling notes like “check out [insert cool spreadsheet here] when I get home!”
- You’ll meet SEO celebrities, and get to talk to them. You don’t just get to meet folks like Will Critchlow and Rand Fishkin. You can actually talk to them. Go to the Garage after party and you can even talk to Ben Hendrickson about LDA. Just bring a tape recorder so you can play it back after your brain short-circuits.
- It’s well organized. Don’t underestimate the importance of logistical brilliance. The Pro seminar went off without a hitch, at least from where I sat. Everything was impeccably put together, from food to schedule to wifi. It let everyone focus on learning.
- They provide Hagen Daaz ice cream. Double chocolate. Need I say more?
- Everyone there is focused but open. The entire crowd was great. They were there to learn, and soaked up everything they could. But they also shared tons of their own experiences, making for a perfect balance of students and instructors.
I’m not getting anything for writing this. Hell, SEOMOZ and their partner companies are kind of competitors. But you have to acknowledge great stuff when you see it: Go to this seminar next year. You won’t be sorry.