Five Great Ways to Remain Invisible
Ian Lurie Feb 9 2007
Feel like search engines are just a pest? Don’t want any annoying customers on your web site? Then these tips are for you:
- Ignore title tags. Who needs ’em?
- Go 100% graphics. It’s prettier, right? Why bother with actual text?
- Keep out of it. Don’t ever blog, discuss, or otherwise mention your site in any medium.
- Use loooooong URLs. Why use www.mysite.com when www.mysite.com/en/us/?-this=1234091284as;dlfjkaeorwiuawe0948230498 will do the same thing?
- Copy like crazy. Plagiarize content from other, better-ranked sites to your heart’s content. Sure, the search engines may ban you in response to a complaint, but who cares?
A little Friday fun after a week of situations that needed a laugh track…
CEO & Founder
Ian Lurie is CEO and founder of Portent and the EVP of Marketing Services at Clearlink. He's been a digital marketer since the days of AOL and Compuserve (25 years, if you're counting). He's recorded training for Lynda.com, writes regularly for the Portent Blog and has been published on AllThingsD, Smashing Magazine, and TechCrunch.Ian speaks at conferences around the world, including SearchLove, MozCon, Seattle Interactive Conference and ad:Tech. He has published has published several books about business and marketing: One Trick Ponies Get Shot, available on Kindle, The Web Marketing All-In-One Desk Reference for Dummies, and Conversation Marketing.Follow him on Twitter at portentint, and on LinkedIn at LinkedIn.com/in/ianlurie. Read More