12 Ways SEO is Like Bacon
Ian Lurie Mar 5 2009
- Everyone loves it.
- Some people try to say they hate it. That just means they love it even more.
- Overindulging may cause a heart attack.
- It’s more expensive than you might think.
- Some bacon comes from horrifically dirty muck-dwelling animals. SEO sometimes comes from the same place.
- Bacon fills your house with the delicious aroma of cooking pork. SEO fills your company with the delicious aroma of money.
- Really bad bacon sizzles but causes indigestion. Really bad SEO sounds great but does the same thing.
- Under-prepared bacon can give you worms. So can underprepared SEO.
- Cheap bacon can give you worms, too. Same with SEO.
- Organic bacon is best.
- No one – no one – wants to see how bacon is made. Same goes for SEO.
- If you make bacon, you’re relegated to the stinkiest, darkest part of town. If you’re an SEO pro you’ll wish you were relegated to the stinkiest, darkest part of town.
CEO & Founder
Ian Lurie is CEO and founder of Portent and the EVP of Marketing Services at Clearlink. He's been a digital marketer since the days of AOL and Compuserve (25 years, if you're counting). He's recorded training for Lynda.com, writes regularly for the Portent Blog and has been published on AllThingsD, Smashing Magazine, and TechCrunch.Ian speaks at conferences around the world, including SearchLove, MozCon, Seattle Interactive Conference and ad:Tech. He has published has published several books about business and marketing: One Trick Ponies Get Shot, available on Kindle, The Web Marketing All-In-One Desk Reference for Dummies, and Conversation Marketing.Follow him on Twitter at portentint, and on LinkedIn at LinkedIn.com/in/ianlurie. Read More