PPC Campaign Overhaul Fuels Massive Revenue Climb
A beloved outdoor apparel brand needed a new approach to PPC and later to paid social media. Portent rose to the challenge driving massive gains in both branded and non-brand search.
Paid Search StrategyPaid Search ManagementPaid Social
E-commerce - Outdoor Apparel
When this outdoor apparel brand came to Portent, it was mere weeks before the start of the hugely important Holiday shopping season. They needed to overhaul their paid search and shopping ad program completely, quickly, and effectively, with a goal of increasing their ROAS 200% from 1:1 to 3:1.
Unsustainably low return on ad spend across brand, non-brand, and shopping
This outdoor apparel brand has been delighting outdoor enthusiasts from skiers, to climbers, to campers for decades and has had a strong digital presence for over 20 years. In recent years their shopping and non-branded paid search campaigns had proven largely unprofitable, so they retreated to branded search and looked to other channels for new customers.
Their largest challenges before coming to Portent were:
- Low ROI on paid search across the board.
- An underlying lack of granularity in the existing paid search and shopping campaign structure.
- A structural lack of product targeting hierarchy to amplify winners, and triage low-performers.
At a macro level, the brand needed to grow e-commerce revenue. The company was extremely knowledgeable about their core customers and knew that if they could generate even one initial sale with someone in their core demographic, the customer lifetime value would be enormous. What they needed was a growth-focused and highly structured paid search strategy enabling analysis, testing, and ongoing optimization.
Portent’s paid search work with this outdoor apparel brand included:
- PPC Campaign & Strategy Rebuild: enabling full visibility into the good, the bad, and the ugly of branded search, non-brand, and shopping campaigns.
- Campaign Expansion: Portent significantly expanded non-brand product coverage with increased granularity and control in the account and campaign structure.
- Dynamic Campaigns: Portent launched 17 separate dynamic search campaigns in order to ensure search query coverage and eliminate keyword gaps on key products.
- Structured Snippets: Portent built and launched Structured Snippets (ad extensions detailing info about your products).
Led by a surge in PPC results, this outdoor apparel company drove an overall year over year revenue increase of 43%.
Grew year over year non-brand search revenue by 697% in 2018
Increased revenue from branded search by 29%
Drove a 144% increase in shopping ad revenue