Job Posting Title:
Director of Marketing Services
Portent is hiring a Director of Marketing Services to oversee the agency Marketing Services team. Reporting to the VP of Marketing Services, this person will ensure that we are providing top quality digital marketing service to our clients, while also bringing deep marketing expertise to ensure revenue growth for the agency as a whole.
This role is central to the growth of Portent’s ongoing client relationships. The Director of Marketing Services is expected to provide strategic oversight for our top clients, drive revenue through select business development opportunities, develop our marketing Team Leads, and serve on the senior leadership team to help grow the agency.
The Director of Marketing Services should have extensive experience and knowledge regarding all digital marketing practice areas with a focus on SEO, paid search, paid social, programmatic advertising, content marketing, and conversion rate optimization.
- Oversee omni-channel digital marketing strategy across client and internal teams.
- Provide consultative services to Portent’s top clients, ensuring that the agency meets expectations and that client teams are effectively communicating success to our primary stakeholders.
- Serve as a point of escalation for Portent’s top clients, and address concerns while standing behind the Marketing Services team’s strategies and decisions.
- Nurture and develop leadership qualities among Portent’s Team Lead group, specifically the SEO, Paid Search, Paid Social, and Content Marketing practice areas within the Marketing Services division.
- Build and develop processes that improve the quality of the services provided by each Marketing Service practice area at the agency.
- Contribute to business development by participating in RFPs, nurturing relationships in the marketplace, and driving inbound opportunities through conferences and industry events.
- Partner with the Executive Leadership team to set Objectives and Key Results (OKRs) for the agency and each practice area within the Marketing Services team.
Skills & Knowledge
- Leadership and technical digital marketing skills are required to succeed in this role.
- SEO: Intermediate knowledge of Search Engine Optimization (SEO) and the best practices that drive both technical on-page and off-page results, and how to speak to the work at a leadership level.
- Paid Search: Intermediate knowledge of paid search, including the best practices around the optimization of enterprise level Google Ads (both text and display ads) and Microsoft Ads accounts, how to run account audits, and how to speak to the work at a leadership level.
- Paid Social: Intermediate knowledge of paid social, including best practices around the optimization of ecommerce and enterprise level Facebook Ads, Instagram Ads, and LinkedIn ads, how to run account audits, and how to speak to the work at a leadership level.
- Content Marketing: Intermediate knowledge of content marketing, including best practices around user research, journey maps, personas, audience identification, topic ideation, how to run content audits, and understanding how to speak to the work at a leadership level.
- Leadership: Proven experience with team management, strategic growth of individuals, and the development of talent at an agency.
Process & Tools
The Director of Marketing Services should be able to leverage agency tools and platforms to provide actionable strategic guidance to their teams in a variety of different ways.
- Working knowledge of Google Analytics and Google Data Studio.
- Working knowledge of SEO tools like Google Search Console, SEMRush, and Ahrefs.
- Working knowledge of paid media platforms like Google Ads, Microsoft Ads, Facebook Ads, Instagram Ads, and LinkedIn Ads.
Succeeding in the role of Director of Marketing Services isn’t just about technical knowledge. It’s equally important to be able to effectively navigate working with both coworkers and clients.
- Natural Leader. You’re someone who comfortably steps into a position of leadership, and can guide your direct reports around ambiguity with confidence and poise.
- Professional communicator. You share updates and ideas effectively. You excel in communicating how and when plans or strategy change. You know when to listen, when to reach out, and the best way to communicate with each of your respective stakeholders.
- Passionate. Digital marketing motivated you, and you’re focused, driven, and proactive when it comes to pushing the agency to do better. You take initiative, and work with a sense of urgency. Broadly speaking, you give a damn and you share that passion with your team.
- Accountable. You own the things you manage. You’re self-reliant, excellent at problem-solving, and results oriented. You’re the first person to take responsibility, and you don’t wait to see where things end up. You’re not afraid to challenge process, especially if that process doesn’t work.
- Adaptable. When you need to pivot, you do so easily and help the agency and your clients pivot with you. You adapt based on feedback, and you’re comfortable figuring things out as you go.
- Collaborative. Partnering with your direct reports is your M.O. You are comfortable working across multiple practice areas, and managing multiple direct reports. You bring people in; you don’t wait for them to ask.
- Goal-oriented. You stay focused on the goal at hand, and you’re constantly mapping recommendations back to clients’ (or the agency’s) KPIs and goals. You are able to coach our teams to be as goal-centric as you.
Position Requirements & Competencies
- 3-4 years of hands-on experience managing digital marketing strategy for clients.
- 5-7 years of experience within an agency.
- 2-3 years of direct client management experience.
- 2-3 years leading and developing a team.
- Advanced knowledge of the digital marketing fundamentals, and the digital marketing landscape.
- Intermediate knowledge of industry trends as they relate to client-facing projects.
- Proven experience applying qualitative and quantitative research for clients.
- Proven experience around leadership qualities like listening, tactfulness, and the ability to give and receive feedback (bonus points if you’ve read Radical Candor already).
- Exceptional analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
Portent, Clearlink’s agency team, is comprised of 50 marketers with offices in Seattle and Salt Lake City. Portent has been supporting Fortune 500 companies with their digital marketing for over 20 years. At Portent, you will have opportunities to work with people who are as passionate as they are talented, develop yourself and your skills, and work on challenging and rewarding projects for some of the world’s biggest brands. We also like to reward our employees:
- Flexible work from home schedules
- Up to 100% healthcare for your entire family
- Over two weeks paid time off
- Paid ski days, wellness activities, and team outings
- Fully-stocked break room and gourmet coffee
- Award-winning wellness program with free health coaching
- All-expense paid vacations for top employees