Jul 21 2018
Job Posting Title:
If you love coaching writers and editors to be better at their crafts and you geek out about user experience, then this may be the job for you!
As a full-time Managing Editor at Clearlink, you’ll directly manage a group of talented and passionate copywriters and editors in the Consumer Brands Marketing department. In this role, you’ll oversee efforts to create helpful online content as you own the overall quality of content from your team.
We need a strong manager, editor, marketer, and communicator who can work cross-functionally with other leaders, listen to other people’s ideas, and solicit candid feedback in the spirit of ever-improving.
You should have experience managing a team of writers and/or editors, coaching for project-level and overall performance. You should be comfortable giving thorough feedback to writers and editors, ensuring that work aligns with broader website goals and vision, as well as best practices in online marketing and persuasive tactics.
This role reports to the Copy Director.
Why You’ll Love the Consumer Brands Team:
- Work in a unique, collaborative environment where ideas are shared freely and individuals are empowered to affect change.
- Develop your craft autonomously with access to coaching for career advancement.
- Share in the thrill of building (sometimes from scratch!) web properties and brands that simplify the customer journey.
- Be part of a culture that recognizes and rewards effort.
- Surround yourself with some of Utah’s best marketing minds and leave work each day having learned something new.
- Leadership / Management
- Manage, supervise, and mentor copywriters and editors.
- Own hiring and onboarding for the writers and editors on your team.
- Continually improve our process and deliverables.
- Hold consistent 1:1 meetings with all direct reports to give career coaching, troubleshoot issues, and build relationships of trust.
- Find, test, hire, and manage freelance copywriters and editors as needed.
- Determine resources and tools for your team to complete work.
- Develop rapport and communicate effectively with Marketing Managers, Content Strategists, Compliance Specialists, Developers, Designers, Art Director, and Copy Director to ensure projects fulfill the desired overall vision.
- Embrace giving and receiving candid feedback.
- Conduct brand and product research.
Teaching Best Practices in Writing, Editing, and Marketing
- Teach writing and editing workshops, run meetings, and share marketing/editing/writing knowledge.
- Communicate specific guidelines to help writers and editors produce quality copy.
- Work with content strategists and marketing managers to develop tone/voice guidelines, user personas, and other materials essential for creating high-quality copy that resonates with users.
- Become a subject matter expert in the verticals of your websites, including keeping up on the industry and learning from competitors’ content.
- Align your team goals with greater business goals.
- Writing, Editing, and Reviewing Work
- Give constructive, clear, and kind feedback on copywriters’ and editors’ assignments.
- Answer writing and editing questions for individuals across the department.
- Directly edit copy pieces and juggle multiple projects at once while meeting deadlines.
- Write copy to model effective examples for the team and to contribute to high-profile projects.
- Edit copy for punctuation, clarity, compliance standards, and logical completeness.
- Assign writing and editing tasks, as needed.
- Strong writing and editing experience
- People management experience
- Basic knowledge of SEO, PPC, content strategy, and CRO
- Ability to adhere to brand compliance guidelines
- Must submit writing and editing samples/portfolio
- Degree in English, marketing, or related field
- 1+ years’ management experience
- 3+ years’ experience in advertising, online marketing, or related field
- 5+ years’ experience in writing and editing
- Ability to complete test project
Clearlink’s team of 1,700+ employees is headquartered in Salt Lake City and has been creating marketing content services for Fortune 500 companies for over 13 years. Clearlink has been recognized as a great place to work with awards such as Utah Business Magazine’s Fast 50, Inc. Magazine’s 500/5000 List, Salt Lake Tribune Top Workplaces, Utah Chapter of the American Marketing Association – Internal Campaign, and many more. We are proud to offer our employees:
- Up to 100% healthcare for your entire family
- Over two weeks paid time off
- Paid ski days, wellness activities, and team outings
- Fully-stocked break room and gourmet coffee
- Award-winning wellness program with free health coaching
- All-expense paid vacations for top employees
Salt Lake City