Today I ran an SEO copywriting clinic at SES San Jose. Lesson: We all need to remember that SEO is not a strategy.
SEO is a tactic. It’s how you generate ‘foot traffic’ once you’ve created your product.
Before you start an SEO campaign, you need to:
- Know what you’re selling.
- Know why it’s unique.
- Have a well crafted story. Not a lie – a narrative about your product/service/campaign/whatever that tells the audience why you’re unique.
- Already know how you’re going to motivate your audience.
- Have great copy. Don’t write for SEO. Write first. Then optimize.
- Have a well-crafted web site that was built with your audience in mind.
Only then should you invest in SEO. Or in any other tactic.
A million years ago I wrote a post about the fact that SEO is a tactic, not a strategy. This bit is just a refresher.