Update: Keyword Research Tools Showdown (Wordtracker)
Ian Lurie Oct 7 2009
I did Wordtracker a disservice in my keyword research tools showdown last week. I am a long, long-time fan of their toolset. So long, in fact, that I’d neglected to thoroughly examine the slick new interface they’ve got, as well as a couple of additional tools.
I’m a little embarrassed, but I’ll get over it. In the mean time, here are the features I missed:
First, they have a neat ‘In Anchor and Title’ measurement that shows:
- The number of pages that include the target phrase in their title tag.
- The number of pages with a backlink that includes the target phrase as the link text.
That’s a great way to get a high-level look at competition.
Next, they’ve updated their KEI formula. I am not a huge fan of KEI in general, but a quick look at the results tell me it’s reasonably accurate at this point. The only time it goes a little awry is for keywords with very low search volumes.
There are more features, as well, but these two alone make Wordtracker a must if you’re a pro.
Thanks to Mal Darwen at Wordtracker for pointing out my errors without cursing at me.
You can get a tour of the new features, and how to apply them, on the Wordtracker web site, here.
I am not a Wordtracker affiliate. Nor are they paying me. Nor do I get free service, cars, a luxury jet, food for my guinea pigs or any other form of compensation from Wordtracker. I am just. a. fan. Suck on that, FTC.
Ian Lurie is CEO and founder of Portent Inc. He's recorded training for Lynda.com, writes regularly for the Portent Blog and has been published on AllThingsD, Forbes.com and TechCrunch. Ian speaks at conferences around the world, including SearchLove, MozCon, SIC and ad:Tech. Follow him on Twitter at portentint.He also just published a book about strategy for services businesses: One Trick Ponies Get Shot, available on Kindle. Read More
- 5 Ways Your Site Might Fail Google’s Mobile-Friendly Test
- My (Insanely Large) List of SEO Tools & Other Useful Resources
- Google’s Data Highlighter: Your New Favorite Backup Plan
- How I Know Which of Your Links Are Bad – Link Profile Review Tips
- Search Awards 2014 – Best SEO Campaign
- Announcing Our SERP Preview Tool